Common Buzzard - Baltrasna, Ashbourne

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Common Whitetroath

Of all the Summer visitors to these shores there are those that I look forward to seeing and hearing more than others.  The Whitethroat is a common widespread Summer visitor and a bird I look forward to seeing every year.

It really is a sight to behold as it flies high into the air singing its little heart out and then dropping to the nearest bush from where it continues to sing.  It just repeats this ritual literally all day during the early days of summer, up and down all the while filling the air with its calls.

male Common Whitethroat
Calling from on high


A very windswept Whitethroat

I've come across a few singing males this Summer in and around Ashbourne, but until last Sunday I didn't have my camera with me to record them.  The two males pictured here were both displaying on the same patch of scrub just off the Baltrasna to Kilbride road.  They were both there three days running (I haven't been back since) and on the third day I spent some time just sitting there watching them compete with each other as they both laid claim to the patch.

No comments: