Common Buzzard - Baltrasna, Ashbourne

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Bird Atlas 2007 - 2011

Well in the end after almost 10 years from planning to publication the Bird Atlas 2007 - 2011 is in print.  I got my copy in December 2013 and the first thing I noticed was that this is a book of proportions befitting the effort that went into producing it. It's large, it's heavy and comes in at over 700 pages.  I suppose it was never going to be any different really,  it contains the results from over 19 million individual records provided by thousands of volunteers over a four year period for both breeding and winter seasons.




The Barn Owl entry - my very own records are on there
I spent hundreds of hours over those four years rambling up and over the lanes and fields of Co Meath, listening, looking, recording.  At times it was hard, I missed out on so much that was happening around the country because of Atlas commitments.  So many great birds I just never made it to, but there's no regrets, none at all, not when you have in your possession a scientific work as substantial as this to which you contributed even a small part and you see your own name in print and attached to it.

A page from my Winter 2008 records for South  Ashbourne
This Atlas will help shape and direct Bird Conservation throughout Ireland and Britain for the next 10 years and beyond that's how important it is.  I've spent a whole lot of time over the last year and some months reading, researching and just being consumed by the facts, figures and encyclopedic knowledge contained within its pages.

No comments: