Common Buzzard - Baltrasna, Ashbourne

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Plovers

Two ringed plovers have taken up residence on some scrub land in Bracetown just off the old N3 recently.  I noticed them when I saw a pair of the resident hoodies chasing one of them last Wednesday.  I stopped for a closer look, at first not sure what the hoodies were chasing, but on a closer look it turned out to be a ringed plover.

The plover managed to evade the hoodies for long enough for them to give up the chase.  I was passing again on Friday and decided to have a look and see was it still there and I discovered there were actually two of them! 

I was just about to head off when one of the local buzzards, a large female decided she was going to have a go.  She gave chase for a minute or so, but then she herself got mobbed by some of the corvids who call the area home, hence the plovers escaped thanks in all possibility to the very hoodies who were harassing them only two days previous.

The plovers were still present today, I cant think why, the area is a regular haunt for the above mentioned hoodies and buzzards, never mind the sparrowhawks and kestrels which are also commonly seen in the area.

No comments: