Common Buzzard - Baltrasna, Ashbourne

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wicklow Way

Sunday morning and I had a decision to make.... north to Louth, south to Wicklow or east(ish) to the Bull.  I decided to head down Wicklow way the deciding factor was to see could I locate some crossbill's.

It takes approx 50 mins from Ashbourne to the town land of Kilnamanagh (hills above the Beehive on the N11) to a spot I've had crossbills previously.  Like almost all outings, nothings ever certain, I've been her before and drawn a blank, other times you turn off the main road park the car and the first bird you see can be a crossbill.

It took about 30 mins walking and listening before I got a year tick, 2 male crossbills high up in the canopy giving good views before they were spooked and left.

Now what might have spooked them?  Was it the hovering kestrel which came into view, the buzzard that circled just after the kestrel left, or the red-kite that flew over about a minute after the buzzard exited.  Three great raptors in 5 minutes and I hadn't moved an inch!!

The usual woodland species filled the rest of a very enjoyable couple of hours in sunny Wicklow.

No comments: