Common Buzzard - Baltrasna, Ashbourne

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Raving Ravens

Late November 2010 I heard a very distinct call when out walking part of my patch.  I was crossing some fields off the Bracetown to Kilbride road when I heard the "cronk" of a raven.  Now theres a very healthy population of corvids in the area and I just couldn't locate the individual responsible.  I'd never had a sighting of raven in this area so I was disappointed not to have gotten a view.

However, I heard more calls throughout December and just before Christmas I seen not one but two ravens in the area.  Since then I've had numerous sightings of an individual and a couple of sightings of a pair!  Now this is never going to make it onto most birders best of the year, but for me its a bit of a happening, is it possible ravens could breed on my patch!!  My farmland patch, not my coastal cliffs patch or rugged mountain patch.... my flat as pancake, oh; there's wood pigeon number 500 of the day farmland patch!

I had the pair again today, being mobbed by hoodies.  They settled on an electricity pole and gave great views for a while.  I'm lucky to have plenty of Buzzards in the area and they too get mobbed by the hoodies so I was able to get a real comparison of the size of the ravens versus the buzzards.  Getting this close this regular has really impressed upon me just how huge these very powerful birds are.

No comments: